Here's a checklist!
You should have the following information and documents with you as you fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):
-Completed FAFSA ID Login and Password
- Your Social Security Number
- You parents' Social Security numbers if you are providing parent information*
- Your parents' dates of birth and marriage anniversary or divorce date if you are providing parent information*
- Your driver's license number if you have one
- Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. citizen
- Federal tax information or tax returns** including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse, if you are married), and for your parents if you are providing parent information
- Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans non-education benefits, for you, and for your parents if you are providing parent information
- Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including real estate but not including the home in which you live; and business and farm assets for you, and for your parents if you are providing parent information
*Not sure whether you will need to put your parents' information on the FAFSA? Check out "Am I Dependent or Independent?" Call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243)
**If you complete your taxes before filling out your FAFSA online, you might be able to have your tax information automatically retrieved from the Internal Revenue Service and inserted in your FAFSA. The FAFSA will walk you through the process.